Sunday, September 30, 2012

Proposal


Julie Carrow

Proposal

Title: It is essential that California passes Proposition 30.

Author: I am a 21 year old college student. I am a third year student and have been having trouble getting the courses I need to transfer to a four-year university. Prior cutbacks have set me back. Further cutbacks will make it even harder for me to transfer. I am directly affected by Proposition 30.

Date:  Proposition 30 makes its way to the ballot during a time of economic hardship for California. Taxpayers’ money needs to be allocated properly, to the places most deserving. Proposition 30 sets forth a plan to stop further cuts to education system, essentially saving the system.

Topic: Proposition 30 is a measure that raises taxes for those making over $250,000 and an increase in sales tax. The money will go towards education, public safety, and community programs all of which have received cuts in the prior years.

Exigence: California’s educational system will be facing more cuts if Proposition 30 is not passed. Further cuts brought to an already damaged system will thwart many individuals from reaching their highest potential. Proposition 30 uses the tax money to fill the educational deficit and stop further cuts being made.

Intended Audience: My intended audience is registered voters in the state of California and college students whom this will affect.

Logos: Proposition 30 gives taxpayers’ money to K-12 schools and community colleges. The billions in new funding will go towards smaller class sizes, rehiring teachers, etc..  If the measure is not passed our schools face another $6 billion in cuts this year.  Additionally, enrollment will decrease by a minimum of 12,000 students.  Proposition 30 will temporarily increases the sales tax. Additionally, those making over $250,000 will receive a higher income tax rate.    

Ethos: As a college student, this topic directly affects me. I am 21 and am still working towards a nursing degree. I should already be able to transfer to a four-year university but because of the cutbacks I will have to wait another year. I have been unable to take the courses I need in order to transfer into a nursing program. Additionally, the courses that I have taken have been impacted. Often, I find myself sitting on the ground in the back of a lecture hall since all the seats are taken. I have also taken courses at four different community colleges because many are cancelled at the one close to my house. I spend hours commuting and less studying due to this setback. I want to move ahead with my life, and additional cuts to our education system will just set me back more. It is hard to stay positive. As a state, California cannot make any more cuts to our schooling. Educating young Americans is our only way of succeeding as a state in the future.

Pathos: Why would we want to make it harder for our young to get ahead and to get the education they want? We are willing to put in the work and now more cuts would thwart our dreams. If Proposition 30 is not passed future generations would not be as educated as they are today. How can anyone rationalize making more cuts? Limiting one’s ability to succeed is wrong. Will it just keep getting worse in ten years? Things need to change or California’s educational system will be a complete joke, an embarrassment. In order for this to not be the case, Proposition 30 must be passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment